Howdy folks! 😊
I know Goat meat in these parts is often enjoyed grilled or BBQ’d over charcoal and accompanied with a few cold drinks 😊, but there’s also the deliciousness of eating it in a stew.
Goat stew is probably one of my most favorite stews for Sunday lunch or Sunday supper 😋. The naturally strong and gamy flavor it has makes for a very hearty and tasty stew, without too many extra ingredients.
I know there’s many variations of this dish globally, but this particular recipe is the standard one (with a few tweaks) we use in Zambia, for a stew that would be cooked slow and served with nshima, rice or potatoes.
…Much to the delight of those eating 😉
If you’re ready to give this recipe a try and prepare it for your family one of these fine days, here’s what you’ll need 👇🏾:
Goat StewCourse: MainDifficulty: Medium
11/2 kg Goat Meat
1 1/2 Beef Stock Cubes
3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 large ripe Tomato, grated
3 Cloves of Garlic
1 Tablespoon fresh Ginger
1 1/2 Tablespoons Paprika
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Large Green Pepper
1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
2 Tablespoons Bisto gravy
4 Sprigs fresh Rosemary
2 Litres of Water
3 Green Chilies (optional)
- There’s an image of the goat meat, for those unsure 😊. Allow the meat to thaw and come to room temperature, if frozen. With regards to washing it, I usually add a bit of white Vinegar to the water I’m using to wash the meat. Set aside once done.
- Heat the oil in a pan or sauce pan, and add the meat in to sear. Season with the crumbled stock cube and pepper. You can do this in batches, just so that the pan is not overcrowded and the meat starts to steam and release too much water. 😊
- While the meat cooks, proceed to prepare the other ingredients that will go into the stew. 😊
- Sear in the pan/pot until the meat browns. 😊
- Add to the pot the chopped opinions, chili (if using), ginger and Garlic and allow everything to cook together for about 3 minutes. 😊
- Next, add the Tomato paste, Paprika and grated tomato to the pot and allow this to cook for another 3 minutes. Mix everything together. 😊
- Add 1 litre of water to the pot and cook on the Stove top for about an hour. +/-
Once the water recedes, add another litre of water to the pot and cook for a further 45 minutes.
- Next, mix the Bisto with 1/2 cup of water and add the mixture to the pot. Also add the fresh Rosemary to the pot and allow this to simmer at medium heat for 30 minutes, until the stew comes together. 😊
- This is what the end product should look like, and the meat tender. 😊
Serve with your favorite side of starch and veggies! So delicious! 😋👌🏾