Howdy folks! 😊
Tired of eating Rice or Potatoes for supper all the time? Here’s a great alternative you’ll love. Butternut (Squash) Mash. 😋
Butternut squash has a unique taste, which is mostly neutral – save for the slight sweetness – which makes it a great accompaniment for spicy stews and grilled meats alike. 👌🏾 You can actually turn this dish into a dessert by adding condensed milk to the mix. 😋
For now, we are keeping it savory though, and I’m sure you’ll love this simple, no fuss recipe.
Here is what you’ll need :
Butternut MashCourse: SidesDifficulty: Easy
1 kg Butternut Squash
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
3 Tablespoons Butter
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1/4 Seasoned Salt (optional)
Herbs and Garlic (optional)
- Start by peeling the butternut, and cutting it into pieces for easier handling.
Then proceed to further cut those pieces into smaller cubes, before cooking. 😊
- Next, transfer the butternut cubes to a saucepan and add 2 cups of water. Also add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and cook for about 10-15 minutes until tender. 😊
- Once cooked, drain out any excess water and transfer the butternut to a bowl. You can also do this in the sauce pan, by the way 😉, to reduce on the number of dishes to wash.
While the butternut is still hot, add the butter, sugar and seasoned salt, if using.
- Mash everything together with a potato masher, or a cooking stick until you get a smooth consistency and the butter completely melts into the mash. 😊
- Transfer to a serving dish, and as a final touch, add a teaspoon of butter on top, before serving. 😊
The dish is now ready for the table! 😋
- Had my butternut mash with some spicy chicken stew, and Fried Okra, with Sweet Peppers. 😋
Tasted Great! 👌🏾💕