Howdy folks! 😊
We are definitely spoilt for choice in this part of the world when it comes to foods in the pumpkin/squash family. Though interestingly enough, Gem squash seems to be the anomaly that hasn’t caught on. Perhaps because they are originally from the northern hemisphere…I’m not sure 🤔 …but I certainly hope more people would give them a shot! 🤞🏾
Stuffed Gem Squash are a unique and compact meal 😊. Easy to share, and you can have all your food groups covered in each bite. The delicious meaty filling brings the otherwise bland squash to life with the goodness in every forkful 😋. And with the decadence of cheese, nothing could go wrong here.
Perfect for lunch or dinner, with a salad on the side…you’ll be glad you tried it. 👌🏾
Here’s the recipe below:
Stuffed Gem SquashCourse: MainDifficulty: Medium
4 squashes, cut in half (1 squash per person)
300g Minced beef
2 medium carrots, diced
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 Medium red onion, diced
1 Medium Green Pepper, diced
1 1/2 Tablespoon Tomato paste
1/2 Teaspoon Black pepper
1 Teaspoon Steak and Chops seasoning
1 Teaspoon seasoned salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup of water
150g yellow Cheddar cheese, grated
- You can often buy these squash pre-cut in most supermarkets, but if you don’t – cut them in half with a sharp knife. 😊
- Next, brush a little vegetable oil all over the surface of the squash, and the inside as well just to make sure it doesn’t dry it in the cooking process 😊. Then sprinkle lightly with some seasoned salt. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 15 minutes at 170 degrees Celsius.
- While the squash bakes, start on the mince by browning it in a heated pan with a tablespoon of oil. Season with Steak and Chops spice, black pepper and some salt to taste, if required. That’s because Steak & Chops seasoning often has salt in it already. 😊
P.S – If your mince is not very lean and produces excess fat when frying, do drain some of it out at this stage.
- The next step is where the vegetables go in. Garlic and Carrots first, and then after 3 minutes after, add the onion and green pepper.
- After cooking this for 5 minutes, add the tomato paste and soy sauce. Combine well, and cook for 3 minutes before adding the water and allowing the mixture to simmer together for 3 minutes. 😊
- Remove from the heat and set aside. The mixture should look like something like this…😍
- At this stage, the squash will be partially cooked. Firm, but a fork to the flesh shouldn’t encounter too much resistance…👌🏾
- Stuff the squash with the mince and vegetable mixture and return to the oven for another ten minutes. ⌚️
- Remove from the oven after ten minutes, and then top each squash with the cheddar cheese. You’re welcome to be liberal, but about a tablespoon on each should do. 😉
Change the settling to ‘Grill’ and return the squash to the oven to grill, and melt the cheese for 5 minutes.
- And five minutes later, voila! 😁 Your dish is done and ready to eat!
Best served with a fresh and vibrant salad, like the Tomato Cucumber Salad for maximum enjoyment! 😋