Howdy folks! 😊
In the poultry family, it seems to me that Duck tends to be the least obvious choice for most people…especially in these parts where Chicken remains the firm favorite! 🐔 I find duck is usually the preserve of those who rear their own birds at home perhaps, or those who are willing to pay the premium for it in grocery stores. This then makes it a dish for ‘Special occasions.’
For that reason, I had to document this duck recipe when I made it, because I don’t get to cook it everyday. 😊
This duck was oven roasted for roughly 2 hours and lightly glazed with some orange marmalade to give it that glossy shine, and a slight coating of sweetness on the skin. It was delicious! 😋.
With just a few ingredients, you’ll find this bird flavorful and quite tasty 👌🏾 – showcasing that ‘natural’ gamey taste that Duck-lovers talk about 😊.
I’m hoping any doubters will be won over, and will add duck to their poultry rotation 😊
Here’s what you’ll need :
Roasted DuckCourse: MainDifficulty: Medium
1 Duck, about 1.2kg
1 Medium Lime, cut in wedges
1 Medium Onion, cut in wedges
2 Teaspoons Seasoned Salt
1 Teaspoon black Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
2 Tablespoons, Orange Marmalade (optional)
- Start by pre-heating the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. 😊
- Next, season the duck generously – both on the inside and the outside with the seasoned salt, pepper and paprika. I also used a sharp knife to score the skin gently, but not too deep so as to cut into the flesh. These cuts will take the seasoning well, and also look pretty when the duck is fully cooked. 😊
- The next step is to prepare the aromatics that will go into the cavity of the duck, and will season it from the inside 👌🏾. I used some lime wedges, onion wedges, fresh Rosemary and Thyme.
- Stuff these into the cavity of the duck, and then tie the legs together with some cooking string or twine. 😊
- Once done, transfer the duck to the roasting pan, and use a wire rack if you can. Place the Duck breast-side up on the rack, and roast it for 1 hour in the middle of the oven. After 1 hour, remove from the oven and turn it over to roast on the back side, for 40 minutes. 😊
- The Marmalade glaze is optional, however I recommend it. So, while the duck is in the oven, if your Marmalade is solid or very thick, mix it with a tablespoon of water in a small bowl to loosen it up a little. 😊
- After 40 minutes, remove the duck from the oven, and using a basting brush, baste/brush the marmalade mixture onto the surface of the duck and return it to the oven for 15 more minutes. 😊
- Remove from the oven and allow the duck to rest for about 15 minutes before serving. 😊
- Carve, and enjoy with your side of choice! Mashed potatoes, and roasted vegetables go well with this.😋
P.S. Also do make some gravy on the side.