Howdy folks! 😊
With all the pumpkins in season…here’s a creative and delicious way to make use of them! Make Pumpkin pie! 😋
Though this dessert is very big in North America, particularly during the holidays, what’s to say we can’t enjoy it here? Don’t be intimidated! 💪🏾
I know my mom would make us a pumpkin dessert growing up of mashed pumpkin with sugar, butter and milk. It was yummy, but was never baked in a pastry.
So with this recipe, I’m hoping to finish what she started! 😉
If you’re ready to give it a go…here’s what you’ll need 😊:
Pumpkin PieCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
2 cups cooked Pumpkin
1 can Condensed milk
2 Large eggs
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon ground Ginger
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Vanilla essence
1 shortcrust pastry crust (store bought will do)
Whipped cream, for the top.
- Preparing the pumpkin from scratch, start by cutting the pumpkin into segments – and then those segments in halves. Be sure to remove the seeds. 😊
- Bake the pumpkin halves in a roasting pan lined with foil for 2 1/2 hours at 225 degrees celcius, or until a knife slices through effortlessly.😊 Allow the pumpkin to cool, once ready.
- Scoop out the cooked pumpkin from the skin and measure 2 cups. Add that to a bowl and combine with the 2 eggs, vanilla and all the spices. Mash with a spoon and mix everything together. 😊
- Next, pour in the can of condensed milk and combine well. You can use a hand mixer for a smoother mix. I prefer a bit of texture in the pie, so I use a fork/spoon for this. 😊
- Once you’re done mixing, the filling will look like this. 😊
- If you’re using a store bought pie pastry, allow it to thaw in advance and come to room temperature. (These you can buy from shoprite/Pick N Pay for K20, max). I made this crust from scratch, and will post the recipe for that, in a bit. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 1 cm thickness, and place it in the pie dish, ready for the filling. 😊
- The frills are optional 😊, but I decided – why not? I used my fingers to crimp the pastry on the top to make the frills. Pour the pie filling into the crust. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 15 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius. 😊
- After 15 minutes, reduce the temperature to 170 degrees Celsius and continue baking for 35 minutes. A knife inserted into the pie should come out clean, when its ready.
Remove the pie from the oven and allow the pie to cool completely. 😊
- Once cool, a slice should come away clean. P.S, the frills may crumble. Serve the pie slice with some whipped cream, and Enjoy! 😊😋
Pingback: Planning your Christmas meal - www.lubzonline.com
Pingback: How to make a Pie Crust - www.lubzonline.com