Howdy folks! 😊
Grilling chicken is probably one of my favourite ways to eat chicken. There’s just something about the balance between the taste and just enough moisture content that using dry heat brings. 😋
But grilled chicken with lemon and herb flavor? That really takes the cake. 👌🏾 The freshness of the herbs and the sight tang of the lemon makes this a winning combination. And it is so easy to make, guaranteed to become one of your favorites.
Spring chickens are smaller than regular chickens, so in terms of portions, 1 each for heavy eaters or half a bird for those more modest 🤭. They are delicious nonetheless and don’t take long to cook, thankfully 😊.
Here is the simple recipe I know you will enjoy and love :
Lemon & Herb Spring ChickenCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
2 Spring Chickens
1 Chicken Stock cube
3 Medium Lemons
2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh Basil, finely chopped
2 Tablespoon Spring Onions, chopped
1 Tablespoon minced Garlic
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Seasoned salt
Juice and rind, of 3 lemons
1 Teaspoon dry Mixed Herb spice
- Start by making sure the spring chickens are clean and at room temperature, and then proceed to cut them in half, right through the middle, lengthwise. 😊
⛔️ Remember that Spring Chicken’s are smaller than regular chickens, just slightly bigger than quails, so bear this in mind as you allocate your portions.
- Transfer to a bowl and season with seasoned salt and pepper. Set aside. 😊
- Next, proceed to prepare the marinade. These are some of the ingredients you’ll need. Spring onions, Parsley, Garlic and Basil. Feel free to use whichever fresh herbs you have available. 😊
- To a bowl, add the finely chopped spring onion (the white part), the finely chopped herbs, Garlic, mixed herb spice, the crushed stock cube, olive oil and juice of 3 lemons. Mix well. 😊
- Transfer the herb mixture to the bowl with the chicken and smear liberally on the chicken, for full coverage. 😊 I also threw in pieces of the squeezed lemon and lemon rind for extra flavor. Cover and allow this to marinate for a minimum of 3 hours. ⌛️
- Once ready for grilling, transfer to a wire rack and pan. Drizzle with a little Olive oil and transfer to the oven. Grill for 20 minutes (10 minutes for each side) on the ‘Grill setting’ or at 200 degrees Celsius. 😊
- Once ready, the chicken will not only be done but also a beautiful color. 😊
Serve with your favorite starch or salad, such as Tomato Cucumber Salad or Potato Salad and make it a whole meal.
Include some lemon wedges, for extra lemon 🍋…in case folks want to drizzle on some more.