Howdy folks! 😊
I’m sooo excited to share this Mediterranean inspired salad with you, which I’ve been meaning to make for quite some time now. It is so simple yet sooo tasty – I can’t even begin to explain! And I’m not exaggerating. 😌
The traditional Couscous salad doesn’t usually have meat in it, but I included chicken in this one, to make this salad a whole meal on its own. Loved it! 😋
Here’s what you’ll need to make it :
Chicken Couscous SaladCourse: Main, SidesCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Medium
250 ml hot Water
1/4 Chicken stock cube
1 cup cooked Peas
1 1/2 cup roasted Chicken, cubed
Seeds of 1 Pomegranate
1 small Onion chopped
Fresh Mint leaves
1 Large Lemon
1/8 teaspoon, Black Pepper
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/2 English Cucumber
1 medium Tomato (Ripe but firm)
1 cup of Raisins
- First, we prepare the Couscous, and then in part 2, we assemble the actual salad 😊
- To start with, measure your Couscous into a medium sized dish, or bowl.
- Dissolve the Chicken stock cube into the hot water and then pour that over the grains. Make sure the couscous is fully covered by the liquid. You can also use ready made liquid chicken stock. Just make sure to heat it up first 😊
- Once you’ve poured the stock onto the couscous, cover the dish with plastic wrap and allow this to sit undisturbed for a few minutes, until the grains have puffed up and the stock fully absorbed.
- After 20 minutes, I placed the dish in the fridge for a couple of hours, until I was ready to assemble the salad. 😊 When ready, remove the plastic wrap and fluff the Couscous with a fork to separate the grains. No we proceed to Part 2 🙂
- Start with the Chicken and peas, as both require cooking. 😊. You can prepare these while the couscous is cooking. I used some leftover roasted chicken breast and chopped it up into cubes. And slightly boiled the peas as well, though some people do eat them raw. Not me 😐. Make sure all the ingredients are cold though, at the time of assembly.
- Also chop up your English cucumber, Parsley, Mint, and a medium Tomato. Aim for uniformity in size, if you can. Cut the Pomegranate in half and harvest the seeds. 😋
- You’re looking for something like this….😊
- Next, transfer your couscous to a salad bowl and begin to assemble the salad as follows : Add the chopped herbs, onion, cucumber and raisins. The fresh Mint makes all the difference in this recipe. Make sure not to skimp 😉
- Then add in your cooked peas and chicken.
- Next up, add the tomatoes and pomegranate seeds.
- Then some crumbled Feta cheese on top, for the yummy, creaminess factor 😊
- Set that aside for a few minutes so you can make this simple dressing to go with the salad. 😊 To a bowl or small mason jar, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined, or shake depending on the container you’re using 😉
- Drizzle your dressing all over the salad, and combine everything together, using your salad tools. Uniform distribution is what you’re going for 😉. Remember to taste for seasoning. Cover with Plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to serve.😁
- When ready to serve, transfer the salad to your serving bowl and garnish with the leftover fresh herbs. And you’re done! 😊
- Had my salad for lunch with some avocado slices. I can confirm this was thoroughly enjoyed! 😁😋