Howdy folks! 😊
I’ve always believed Onions are really underrated. They have such a unique and sweet flavour that brings to life every dish they’re in. No wonder we use onions in almost every savoury dish we cook in these parts. 🙂
I used Brown onions to flavour our favourite bird in this recipe, and the taste and flavour was just 💯 👌🏾.
I promise you that this recipe is easy to make, and will definitely be a hit in your home! Try it and let me know how it goes. 😊
Here’s what I did :
Brown Onion ChickenCourse: MainDifficulty: Medium
1 Chicken, cut in pieces
2 large Brown Onions
1 Large Green Pepper
2 Tablespoons Ghee (Clarified Butter)
1 Teaspoon smoked Paprika
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon Black pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Teaspoon Brown Onion Seasoning
2 Tablespoons Brown Onion Knorr Gravy
2 Cloves of Garlic
3 green chilies
2 Teaspoons soy sauce
- Start by cutting the Chicken up into pieces. 😊
- Next, we season and infuse flavor in the chicken by allowing it to marinade in the the vegetable oil, Paprika ,Cayenne Pepper, Brown onion seasoning, salt, Pepper and soy sauce.
- Once the chicken is well coated and set to marinade, cover the bowl with some plastic wrap and set aside for at least 4 hours, or overnight if possible. For maximum flavour 😉
- Next, we move on to the onions. The skin has a golden brown hue to it…and that’s why they are called ‘Brown onions.’ The actual onion itself though, is white 😊
- Slice the onions lengthwise, and also cut up the green chilies. I used 4 in this dish, but it really depends on your tolerance levels. 4 is a good number if you still have taste buds 😂
- In a wok or large pan, melt 2 tablespoons of ghee (clarified butter). I find it adds a nice, rich and almost nutty flavor to the dish.
- Once the ghee is hot, add in the sliced onions, garlic and chili and saute for a few minutes until the onion starts to turn translucent.
- Then add the chicken to the pan, piece by piece.
- You want to keep frying the chicken in the onion mixture for a few minutes. Again, we want the chicken to have a strong onion flavor so this step is key in introducing fresh onion flavour to the chicken 😊
- While the chicken continues to cook, cut the green pepper lengthwise.
- Add the green pepper to the pan and continue frying for a couple of minutes, before transferring the chicken to a baking dish.
- Next, prepare the cooking sauce. If available, mix 2 tablespoons of the Knorr Brown Onion gravy with 250ml of water. This is a quick cheat 😉. But if you don’t have this gravy, you can use 1 and half Tablespoons of cornstarch, 1 teaspoon of brown onion seasoning and 1 tablespoon of Soy sauce, combined with water.
- Add that mixture to the wok, so you can get all those remaining bits of chicken and flavor as well. Cook this for about 2 minutes. It should be a pouring consistency.
- Once ready, pour the sauce over the chicken in the baking dish, along with all the onions and green pepper. 😊
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius in a pre-heated oven.
- When ready, remove from the oven, and remove the foil carefully! The chicken should almost be falling off the bone, literally 😋🤩. Serve with a starch of your choice, and enjoy!😊
Had mine with some baked potatoes and a salad. Awesome! 😊