Howdy folks! 😊
What’s there to say about bread, except that I love it? 😂 I truly am a bread fan and there’s just nothing like warm rolls straight out of the oven with a little bit of butter to go with. 😋 A bowl of warm soup wouldn’t be too bad on the side either. 👌🏾
Of course there’s many variations this this basic recipe and other ingredients you can use to suit the occasion, or your preference. Such as using all purpose flour to make white rolls, though I used brown flour in these for a ‘healthier’ touch. 😉
Other options are that you can add Garlic for a savoury roll, or some herbs like thyme and rosemary for a fragrant, herby one. Add cheese to make cheese rolls. You can also mold the rolls bigger in size, to make standard bread rolls. 😊
With all those options, if you’re ready to give this a go – here’s the recipe below. Let me know how it goes! 😊
Brown Dinner RollsCourse: Sides, AppetizersDifficulty: Medium
3 1/2 cups of Brown Flour
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Teaspoon salt
1/2 cup melted Butter or Margerine
2 1/4 Teaspoons Yeast
1 cup Milk
- Start with preparing the starter and activating the yeast, which includes the ingredients below : milk, yeast and sugar. 😊
- Warm the milk slightly and then add the yeast and 1 Tablespoon of sugar. Combine and the cover the container, allowing the mixture to sit for 5 minutes. 😊
- Here are some of the remaining ingredients…Brown flour, 1 egg, salt and sugar. You can also use all-purpose flour, if that’s what you have.
- After 5 minutes, combine in a bowl the yeast mixture, the egg, melted butter, the remaining sugar, salt and 1 cup flour. If you are using a mixer, mix on low speed for 30 seconds and then add the remaining flour. Beat on medium speed until the dough comes together and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl. 😊
⛔️ If the dough is too wet to handle by hand, add a bit more flour, a tablespoon at a time until you can work the dough with your hands.
- Once done, knead the dough by hand on a lightly floured surface for 3 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with oil and then transfer the dough to the bowl, making sure all sides are coated with the oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and set the bowl aside in a warm place, allowing the dough to rise or double in size. About 1 or 2 hrs. 😊l
- Grease a square pan with butter in advance, or you can also use a round baking pan. Once the dough has risen, deflate it to release the air, and then divide the dough into small equal pieces. You may get about 14 to 16 pieces. Roll each piece and shape it into a smooth ball. Arrange these in the pre-greased baking pan. 😊
- Cover the pan again with plastic wrap and allow the rolls to rise until they are puffy. This could take about 1 hour. 😊
- Bake the rolls for about 20-25 minutes on the lower rack of the oven at 180 degrees Celsius. The rolls should be golden brown on top. Once they are ready, remove from the oven. 😊
- This part is optional, but you can brush the tops with some honey or melted butter. Serve once cool. Enjoy! 😋