Howdy folks! 😊
I remember the first time I had quiche – I was pleasantly surprised, but also enamoured 🤩. This originally French delicacy is a pie or tart consisting of 2 parts – a pastry crust and savoury filling. The filling is a often a mixture of cheese, meat or vegetables – set in eggs.
This dish is so easy to make, and the filling so delicious! 😋 It’s a perfect lunch-box option and works well for dinner too! 👌🏾
I made this one with some of my favorite ingredients – mushrooms, cheese and various vegetables. This version is essentially a ‘vegetarian’ dish – but you will not miss the meat at all. 😉
I savored every morsel of this dish – I think you will too. 😉
Here’s the recipe below :
Spinach & Mushroom QuicheCourse: MainCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Medium
1 packet of Pie pastry (store bought)
300g Baby spinach
3 cloves of Garlic
350g mixed Mushrooms, chopped
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
1/2 Teaspoon Seasoned salt
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
4 Large Eggs
1 cup heavy Cream
1 1/2 cups White cheddar cheese, grated
1 large Red pepper
2 Tablespoon fresh Chives /green onion leaves
2 Medium Leek Onions, sliced
- Start with thawing the pastry to room temperature in line with the package instructions. These are usually sold frozen, so leave it on the counter until it defrosts and can be rolled. 😊
P.S You can also make this pastry from scratch if you have the time.
- Transfer the pastry to your pie dish, and arrange as shown. Poke a few holes with a fork to allow the steam to escape. Bake this for about 10-12 minutes only, then remove from the oven and set aside. 😊
- Wash the baby spinach leaves and set aside to drain. The less the water, the better. Also chop the mushrooms and set aside. Try not to make the pieces too small. 😊
- Heat up the oil in a pan, and sauté the Onions/leeks, garlic and peppers for 3 minutes. After that, add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes. Season well. 😊
- Roughly tear the spinach leaves, then transfer these to the pan as well. Do not add any water. Cover with a tight fitting lid, so that the steam generated will wilt down the veggies. Cook for 5 minutes and set aside to cool. 😊
- While the vegetables cook, you can also grate the cheese and set aside.
- Next, whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, chives, heavy cream and grated cheese. Then set this mixture aside. 😊
- Transfer the cooled (and drained) vegetable mixture into the egg mixture and combine all the ingredients well together. Then pour into the pre-baked pie crust. 😊
- Put the dish into your pre-heated oven and bake at 200 degrees Celsius for at least 45-50 minutes, or until the dish is set and the eggs no longer watery. Middle rack of the oven – not too close to the top.
Once the eggs set, remove the dish from the oven, and allow it to cool on the counter before removing the quiche from the baking dish. 😊
- Once cool (but warm), slice through the quiche, and serve. 🤩
- Truly Delicious! 😋👌🏾