Howdy folks! 😊
So excited to share this recipe with you , of one of my most favorite dishes. Oxtail stew! 😁 Slow cooked until the meat nearly falls off the bone, there’s few things as delicious, and as decadent as this. 💯
For the uninitiated, Oxtail is really just that, the tail of an Ox/Beef animal 🐂. And the distinct rounds are the cut sections of the the circular/tubular tail. This off-cut has a deep, rich flavor, and so braising it slowly over a long time (to break down the tough connective tissue) is the best way to cook it. 😊
It may test your patience, but your taste buds will certainly be rewarded with this delicious stew 😋, which you can serve with rice or mashed potatoes.
Here’s what you’ll need :
Oxtail StewCourse: MainDifficulty: Medium
2 Teaspoons Smoked Paprika
2 Teaspoons Salt
2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 Cloves fresh Garlic
1 Tomato, chopped/Grated
1 Tablespoon, Tomato paste
1 Teaspoon dried Rosemary
2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1 Teaspoon Thyme
2 Tablespoons of Bisto/savoury gravy thickener
3 Fresh chilies (optional)
- Here’s a shot of Oxtail, for those who may not be sure of what we’re working with 😊. Make sure the pieces are fresh, bright red and at room temperature.
- In a bowl, season the oxtail well, with the Garlic powder, Black pepper, salt and Paprika. 😊
- Heat up the oil in a pan and add the oxtail pieces one at a time.
- Make sure the pieces are as brown on all sides as possible. 😊
- Transfer the browned oxtail pieces to the slow cooker. 😊
- While that waits, prepare the onion, Green pepper, garlic cloves and fresh Chili (if using). 😊
- Fry those in the same pan and oil used to brown the oxtail.
- Once the Onions are cooked and translucent, add the grated tomato, tomato paste, salt, pepper, Rosemary, Thyme and Bisto (mixed with a little water) to the pan. Also add 2 cups of water to increase the gravy/cooking liquid. Let that cook for about 3 minutes until it boils and comes together. 😊
- Pour the gravy into the slow cooker, over the oxtail. Make sure the liquid just covers the Oxtail pieces. Add a bit more water if necessary. Replace the lid and allow this to cook on high heat for at least 4 hours 😊
P.S – If you don’t have a slow cooker, this can still work on a stove-top or Brazier.
- During the last hour, open the lid and add in your carrots. Adding them towards the end makes sure they don’t get overcooked and maintain their shape. 😊
- An hour later, the oxtail should be falling off the bone tender, and ready to serve. 😊
- P.S. Had mine with some mashed potatoes and Veggies! Delicious 😊
Pingback: Planning your Christmas meal - www.lubzonline.com
It’s the best method ever am trying this soonest
Glad to hear that, Lu! Will wait for feedback once you make the dish