Howdy folks! 😋
The minute I came across Purple Sweet potatoes, I fell in love instantly! 😍 And I have been a fan ever since. They are not the most prominent variety in these parts, but I am convinced they are the best tasting. 😋
These potatoes tend to be sweeter, and have a more concentrated taste than the other sweet potato varieties I’ve come across, and that deep purple colour inside, does make them a unique attraction. 👌🏾
With the batch I had, figured I would use those qualities and create a lovely dessert, with a creamy and sweet filling. And that’s how a pie🥧 came to mind. 😊
This recipe is as easy as they come, yet so delicious and flavourful. The trilogy of traditional, sweet pie spices (nutmeg, ginger and cloves) really make this a comforting treat that you just have to try. Can’t say that enough.
So, without further ado, here’s what you’ll need:Jump to Recipe
Purple PieCourse: Dessert, SidesDifficulty: Medium
2 cups cooked Sweet Potatoes
1/4 cup melted Butter
1 can Sweetened condensed milk
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Ginger
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 Teaspoon Cloves
- This is what the Purple Sweet potatoes look like freshly peeled. Soak them in water for about 15 minutes before cooking.
I roasted them in the oven for about 40 minutes and allowed them to cool. You can also boil them if you prefer. Just drain all the water out once done.
P.S. The color does deepen once they are cooked. 😊
- Ok. So we return to the recipe. Once the potatoes are cooked and cooled, mash them with a potato masher, or using a large fork and then measure 2 cups.
Add to the mashed potatoes the eggs, spices and the condensed milk and butter. Mix until smooth. 😊
- At this stage, roll out the pastry for the pie crust. 😊 You can buy this already made from your local supermarket, or you can follow this link for the recipe on How to make a Pie Crust.
- Transfer the pastry to a pie dish and trim the edges, then fill the pie with the sweet potato mixture. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 45 minutes. 😊
Allow the pie to fully cool once ready, before cutting and serving. Next day is good.
- Serve with Ice cream, or Whipped cream and fruit – if available.